Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Somehow i just don't understand this specifically 'Indian tradition' of marriage where the girl has to marry a suitable match and start living with an entire new family.I too belong to the same league of girls whose marriage is arranged by her parents.I went in for such an alliance only to fulfill my parent's wish and bestow them with their well deserved happiness.I would not call myself as a firm believer of the institution of marriage but Yes! i totally respect it.My complain is with the idea of sending away the 'girl' and why only the girl to adjust into a whole new atmosphere with people she barely knows! Adjustment and Compromise are synonymous to the M word.Its a whole new birth as it is called by the seniors of the family.I am very happy with my married life but what agitates me is that the progress of the modern era will be useless if the base of it is phony.This sole tradition proves a woman inferior to a man where she is the one who has to lose everything on her part and gracefully accept what's coming her way. Its just a thought that makes me umbrageous and makes me want to have puissance to revolutionise this backward system.





4 comments:

  1. there is definitely a comic element to this post but if i try to read between the lines, i hear a call of a free bird who has been caged,When parents go looking for a spouse for their child they usually consider superficial criteria like religion, ethnicity, financial condition and even horoscope. There is no love at that point of time, however with the first breath we breathe we are instilled with the idea of an arranged marriage, i have nothing against arranged marraige but i do agree that why are only women expected to make that change,adjustments etc,certain things are just not fair in our indian society,i hope with globalization things in future might change.

    overall it's a fine post and expresses your true feelings, I really enjoy reading your posts especially the feminist ones.Keep blogging girl:)Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanx..for such an elaborate review of my post.But i would like it more if you appreciate or criticise my post as moonerz not as Munmun Gupta Singh, Head of English Dept.
    Can't handle 'formal' you!
    Love u..mwaaahh

    ReplyDelete
  3. Girl, I think as the times are changing, guys are moving out of their houses too. I mean most newly wed couples stay in nuclear families. And girl's and guy's parents are treated with equal respect and love. And I have seen a lot of Indian couples where the girl's parents come and stay with the couple. But I totally agree that the numbers are small :)

    Let's wait and see what the future brings next for the 'girls'

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dude ur post is fuckin kickin ass,this is something that every girl who goes through an arranged indian marriage and has to leave her house,city,country,friends, comfort zone thinks about, that y the fuck "only women".Let's do a revolt of 2009 and fuckin end the whole system, couples who have to have an arranged marriage -6 months at the guyz place or 6 months-gals place,or find a complete new city/country/house where everything's new for the groom also.Keep Blogging sis....i lurve ur posts.
    Moonerz.

    ReplyDelete